Everyone deserves to pig out and eat as much as they want on Thanksgiving, so being vegan shouldn’t stop this. There’s an array of healthy holiday food and vegan recipes out there that you or your host can make. Try some of these vegan Thanksgiving recipes to make this holiday!
Did you know you could still have turkey on Thanksgiving? Simply purchase a Tofurky Roast, thaw it in your fridge for at least 24 hours, and follow these instructions!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Run your Tofurky Roast under hot water to loosen the plastic casing, using a knife to carefully remove the plastic.
- Peel and chop 2 carrots and 1 sweet potato into large uniform pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of thyme, oregano, and rosemary.
- In a pie plate or roast pan, place your Tofurky Roast in the center and arrange your carrots and sweet potatoes around the outside.
- Pour about half of the the soy sauce, oil, and herb mixture mixture over the roast and vegetables, using tin foil to tightly cover the entire pie plate.
- Place on the middle rack of your preheated oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Then remove the tin foil, baste with the remaining soy sauce, oil, and herb mixture, and return to the oven to bake uncovered for an additional 10-15 minutes. For optimal flavor and texture, use a sharp knife and slice it as thin as you can.
- Finally, serve with mushroom gravy and cranberry sauce for the full meal!
Mac-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Who said you can’t still have fun with carbs? This recipe takes your loaded baked potato to a whole other level. Make fun and delicious smoky mac-stuffed sweet potatoes!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, wrap each sweet potato separately in tin foil, and bake for 35-45 minutes or until they are fork-tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, start cooking the pasta by following the directions on the package.
- Blend together these ingredients until completely smooth: 1 cup of pumpkin puree, 1/3 cup of cashews, 1/2 cup of veggie broth, 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, 1 clove of garlic, 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of mustard, chipotle flakes, paprika, and sea salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric.
- Once the pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse with cold water, placing the pot back on the stove over low-medium heat.
- Then, pour the cheese sauce into the pot and add 1 cup of kale, 3/4 cups of tomato, 1/3 cup of corn, and 1/4 cup of green onion.
- Stir it all together and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the kale is wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired, then lower the heat and cover the pot.
- Once the potatoes are done, take them out of the oven and wait 5-10 minutes for them to cool, then unwrap them and slice down the center to split.
- Now dump the mac and cheese in the middle of that thing and go to town!
Of course, let’s not forget about dessert. These pumpkin tarts are vegan and no baking is even necessary. Double-win!
- Line a standard muffin or cupcake tin with parchment cups, and set aside.
- To prepare the crust, pulse 1 cup of walnuts and 1/4 cup of shredded coconut in a small food processor until it is fine.
- Add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and process again until just mixed and the dough sticks together.
- Then scoop the dough with a tablespoon into the parchment cups and use your fingers to press down and form a crust for each cup.
- Place the pan in the fridge to set while you prepare the filling.
- To prepare the filling, simply combine all of these ingredients in a blender until it’s completely smooth and creamy: 1 cup pumpkin puree, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1/4 cup coconut oil , 3/4 cup Medjool dates (pitted), 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves.
- Remove the pan of crusts from the fridge, and pour the batter evenly into the cups. Smooth the top, then return to the fridge to set completely, about 4-6 hours.
- When the center of the filling is firm to the touch, the tarts are ready to serve!