The Ultimate Sand Workout To Get Fit On The Beach
Looking to get an amazing workout while being able to hang out the beach - well, why not take the gym out onto the sand?
As you know there is actually a very simple way to burn more calories per step without inching up your incline or pushing your pace: walking or running on the sand. Mentioned in a previous post of ours, studies show that you'll activate extra muscle just by treading on the loose stuff rather than solid ground. Since sand grains constantly shift, our nervous system have to recruit additional muscle fibers in our legs, hips, and trunk in order to respond. Also, the soft surface of the sand absorbs more energy - meaning that, instead of experiencing a helpful rebound effect as you would on pavement, you sink deeper and your muscles have to engage longer to push off.
However, if running for a long distance or time isn't your thing, we got you covered! We created the ultimate workout plan to help you not only build strength and muscle, but also show off the cute beach bod you've been working on all spring! Here it is:
10 Minute Warm-up
Whether you like it or not, running or jogging on the beach still actually makes for the perfect warm up. So for this exercise routine, we will begin with a brisk walk or an easy jog for 3 minutes. Then do each move below for 30 seconds. Repeat the circuit twice.
- Run at a fast pace.
- Side shuffle with right foot leading.
- Side shuffle with left foot leading.
- Run backward.
Then, run at a moderate pace for 3 minutes. - that wasn't too bad, wasn't it!?
2 Minute Plyo Circuit
Next up for our routine, we will move on to plyometrics! Begin by doing 15 reps each of the jumping moves below. Repeat the circuit as many times as you can in 2 minutes.
- Tuck: Jump as high as you can, pulling knees toward chest. Extend legs downward as you land with knees soft. That's 1 rep. Repeat as quickly as you can.
- Skater: Pushing off with right foot, jump left, landing on left foot (knees soft) and sweeping right leg behind and across; reach right fingertips to left toes. Quickly repeat on the other side. That's 1 rep. Continue alternating sides.
- Broad Jump: Jump as far forward as you can. Land softly in a squat. That's 1 rep. Do 15 reps.
Next from here, we will move on to a little core circuit after you take a short rest!
2 Minute Core Routine
For this core circuit, do 15 reps each of the moves below. Repeat the circuit as many times as you can in 2 minutes.
- Upright Crunch: Sit with knees bent, feet flat, hands on sand beside hips. Lean back slightly, lift bent legs, and extend arms forward with palms facing up to start. Extend legs forward while leaning torso back until the mid-back touches ground and shoulders and legs hover above it. Return to start. That's 1 rep. Do 15 reps.
- Walking Plank: Start in plank on your palms. Lower right forearm to ground, then left. Press up onto right palm, then left. That's 1 rep. Switch sides; repeat. Continue, alternating sides.
- Bicycle: Sit with legs long and lift them a few inches off ground, lean torso back 45 degrees, and place fingertips behind ears with elbows bent out to sides. Pull right knee toward chest as you rotate torso to touch left elbow to right knee. Switch sides; repeat. That's 1 rep. Continue, alternating sides.
2 Minute Burnout Circuit + Cool Down
Do each move below for 30 seconds. Repeat the circuit once.
- Sprint for 30 seconds
- Bear Crawl: Stand with feet hip-width apart. Fold forward and plant hands about 3 feet in front of feet. Keeping hips back, bend elbows and knees slightly (almost as if you're in a downward dog). Maintain this shape as you walk hands and feet forward for 30 seconds.
3 Minute Cool Down
Walk or jog for 3 minutes.
Congratulations! You just conquered your beach workout!
Plus, don't forget to use your iTouch smartwatch while you're working out at the beach!
Share with us whether you will try this workout or not by following us on Instagram @itouchwearables and Facebook @itouchwearables and by dropping a comment and like. Also, be sure to check out our new articles published daily!