The Best Home Bodyweight Workout for Social Distancing
As we had said before, when it comes to working out - you either love it or hate it. However, with the current state of Coronavirus and social distancing, many people are turning to fitness and exercise as a way of self-care and stress relief during these times. Working out can prove as a challenge during these times though. There are many are feeling a little stuck when it comes to finding a workout that they can do at home, or even finding it difficult to maintain the motivation to continue with their workout goals with the change of environment. We are now continually being bombarded with demands from our children or little siblings, phone calls from work, and even the news, proving to be huge distractions when keeping our goals align. But instead of heading to the bed to watch Netflix and relax, taking the time to get a little workout in may actually help in making you feel better, more relaxed, and less stressed during these times.
If you want to workout from home but don't have the equipment to do so, there are actually many options when trying to get a workout in. For starters, you can do body-weight exercises at home or at-home training. What makes this exercise or training style so effective is that body-weight training can be modified for whatever fitness level you are and what your body can handle. Whether you’re starting at zero and trying to do one press-up or you’re a seasoned athlete, body-weight exercises at home can be incredibly challenging and beneficial. Progressing the exercises is also very straightforward, so you can keep challenging yourself and building strength.
The movements involved in body-weight training and exercise can also be useful in increasing the mobility of our bodies. They challenge the bodies 'stabilizers' by using complete movements, which in turn can lead to noticeable strength gain even at home. If you are looking for the perfect at-home body-weight workout to do during social distancing, look no further! We got the guide for you, here is how:
Circuit One :
This circuit is to be done 4 times without rest. It will help tone your legs and glutes, while also helping to target the core and lower back for a little strength training and stretch! It is truly an ideal bodyweight exercise routine at home!
1 - Reverse Lunge
- The move: Take a long step back so your knee makes a 90-degree angle at the bottom — and pull yourself up with your forward leg.
Do 8 reps per leg
2 - Spider Man Push-Up
- The move: As you lower yourself in a push-up, pull one knee out to the side and try to touch that same side’s elbow. Get as close to the ground as you can and push up while bringing the leg back to its original position. Alternate sides for one rep.
Do 10 reps
3 - Hip | Leg Extensions
- The move: Lie on your back in a bridge position and bend one knee so that it makes a 90-degree angle to the floor and stick the opposite leg straight out — knees aligned. With your bent leg, squeeze your glute, push through your heel, push your hips up and keep your hips level as you rise. Keep your straight leg extended throughout the exercise and keep it inline with your torso.
Do 10 reps
4 - Standard Plank
Planks build your core and trains you to keep your torso stable against a variety of forces, making it essential for avoiding injuries. To do the exercise correctly, make sure to activate your core and spine and push through the floor to engage your shoulders.
- The move: Keep your rib-cage down like you’re doing a mini-crunch and tuck your pelvis like you’re trying to round your lower-back — your core will turn on automatically. Then hold that position for 60 seconds before releasing.
5 - Wall Slides
- The move: Stand with your head, shoulders and glutes firmly against a wall. Press your forearms flush against the wall behind your head. (There should be no space between your skin and the wall). Squeeze your glutes and press your lower back against the wall while sliding your forearms up and down the wall.
Do 10 reps
Circuit 2 :
This circuit is to be done 3 times without rest. It is a great way to tone your core while giving the body and joints a full workout and stretch, leaving you feeling relaxed and amazing. It's a great overall home bodyweight workout routine!
1 - Plank Walk
- The move: Start in a plank position with your forearms on the ground. Then crawl into a pushup position and lower yourself into a plank.
Hold for 20 seconds
2 - Hip Bridges
- The move: Lie on the ground with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Drive through your heels and squeeze your glutes to push your hips up. Do not use your lower back to pull yourself up.
Do 10 reps
3 - Bear Crawl
The crawl is a fundamental exercise that builds great movement patterns and targets the muscles deep inside your core. It may be a little silly to do, but it sure is fun!
- The move: Get on all fours with your hands under your shoulders and your knees under your hips; keep your knees an inch above the ground. Crawl forward by taking a small step with your right arm and left leg at the same time and alternate. Keep your hips low and your head up.
Hold For 20 seconds
4 - Burpees
This exercise is one everybody loves to hate, but it’s a great way to get your cardio and work the entire body.
- The move: Begin in a tight, active plank position on the ground. Keeping your body in a straight line, lower down and press through the floor to complete a pushup. Immediately bring your feet under your body to land in a perfect squat position. While driving your arms up to the ceiling, press your feet through the floor and engage through the glutes as you leave the ground for your jump. Hinge hips back, place hands on the floor and hop back into the active plank.
Do 10 reps
From here, give yourself a huge pat-on-the-back! You did it! Congratulations!
Just because you are in lock-down doesn't mean you cannot take your physical health into consideration. Get creative, finding new innovative ways to adapt to a new routine.
Share with us your favorite workouts from home by following us on Instagram @itouchwearables and Facebook @itouchwearables and by dropping a comment and like. Also, be sure to check out our new articles published daily!