What Are Chakras And How Do They Affect Your Health?
What Are Chakras?
Chakra directly translates to “wheel." It's essentially energy centered within your body that helps regulate all of its processes - from physical health like organ function and our immune system to mental health and emotions. There are seven chakras positioned throughout your body, from the base of your spine to the crown of your head. Each chakra has its own color, vibration frequency, and function that helps contribute to your life every day. Chakras affect your health greatly when one becomes blocked, which can lead to an illness quickly. That's why it's important to understand what each chakra represents and what you can do to keep this energy flowing freely.
The Seven Chakras
We established that the seven chakras are the centers in our bodies in which energy flows through. But what is each one and what do they do? Let's start from the bottom-up.
- Root: Red. Located at the base of the spine. Represents our foundation, feeling of being grounded, and survival instincts.
- Sacral: Orange. Located in the lower abdomen. Governs our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences, sexuality, and intuition.
- Solar Plexus: Yellow. Located in the upper abdomen. Our ability to be confident and in control of our lives, impulse control, self-esteem, self-worth, and ego.
- Heart: Green. Located in the center of the chest. Showcases our ability to love, compassion, spirituality, joy, and inner peace.
- Throat: Blue. Located in the throat. Governs our ability to communicate, self-expression of feelings, and the truth.
- Third Eye: Purple. Located between the eyes. Our ability to focus on and see the big picture, ability to think and make decisions, rationality, wisdom, and imagination.
- Crown: Indigo. Located at the top of the head; indigo. The highest chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually with the Divine and pure bliss, inner and outer beauty.
How To Balance Your Chakras
Anytime a chakra becomes blocked, underactive, or overactive, it can throw you off balance physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. That's why it's essential to keep your chakras aligned for a healthier, happier life. The body is great at communicating which chakras are off-balance since it's centered around the affect area. Look for signs if your throat is bothering you, you have persistent trouble expressing yourself, you're in an emotional fog, whatever it is - listen to your body and connect which chakra is the problem. Then, in order to balance your chakras again, a cleansing and energy healing is needed. This is basically a process of restoring the positive balance to the affected energy center and removing the blockage or negativity in place. The most common methods to balance chakras are:
- Conscious breathing
- Tai Chi
- Acupressure and acupuncture
- Healing stones